About Ninomaru Garden
A traditional Japanese garden set within the Imperial Palace East Gardens.
The Ninomaru Garden is a small Japanese style garden set within the sprawling Imperial Palace East Garden.
The site of the garden was once within the Edo Castle’s inner circles of defence - Ninomaru meaning the second circle of defence around the central buildings. Originally the site of a villa, the buildings burnt down in 1863 and were never rebuilt. When the Imperial Palace East Gardens were restored and opened to the public in the 1960s, the Ninomaru Garden was built based on designs from the mid 1700s.
To the northwestern corner of the garden is a grove of around 260 trees, donated by prefectures all over Japan for preservation.