Onaga Tenmangu Shrine
About Onaga Tenmangu Shrine
Shrine founded in 1640 dedicated to learning and academic pursuits, and popular with students.
Built in 1640, Onaga Tenmangu Shrine is dedicated to a deity of learning and academic pursuits, and is popular with students praying for success.
The shrine was originally named Onaga Tenjingu, but was renamed to Onaga Tenmangu during the Meji Era (1868-1912).
The main hall, worship hall, zuishin gate and stone torii gate were built in 1640. However, a typhoon in 1926 triggered heavy rain and flooding across Hiroshima, destroying the main hall and worship hall. They were rebuilt a few years later, before being seriously damaged by the atomic bombing in 1945. The shrine was spared from major fires caused by the atomic blast, and major restoration work in 2005 has been able to restore the buildings once again.
Of note in the grounds is a statue of Juroujin, the god of the elderly and longevity.
Onaga Tenmangu Shrine is a stop on the Futabanosato Historical Walking Trail.