Hiroshima Genbaku Dome
About Hiroshima Genbaku Dome
The only structure left standing in the area when the first atomic bomb exploded. UNESCO world heritage listed, it has been preserved in the same state as immediately after the bombing.
Originally the Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall opened 1915, the building was the only structure left standing after the atomic bombing of 6th of August 1945.
Sitting only 150m from the hypocenter of the atomic bomb, the occupants were killed instantly however the building miraculously retained its shape. Originally slated to be demolished during the reconstruction of the city, the ruins were instead preserved in the same state as a reminder of the tremendous destructive power of the atomic bomb.
The skeletal steel frame of the roof gives the building it’s current name of the Genbaku Dome, translated as the Atomic Bomb Dome.